In order to generate a trained manpower for food processing sector, the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science & Technology, Govt. of India sanctioned a project entitled “Enhancing Research Capacity and Initiating Integrated M.Sc. and Ph.D programme in the area of Food Science and Technology” in favour of University in 2008. The Vice-Chancellor in anticipation of the approval by competent body has been pleased to authorize the establishment of “Department of Food Science & Technology” and introduce five year integrated Master’s and Doctorate programme w.e.f 12-05-2008 which was later on approved by the University council at its meeting held on 02-06-2008.
GOALS OF THE DEPARTMENT
• Generation of skilled and trained manpower to meet the human resources requirements of food industry.
• To bridge the technological and research gaps in Indian food industry to make it more competitive in international food markets.
• To bring traditional foods of India under R&D for their mechanized production and better quality control and marketing.
• To prevent heavy losses, both in quantity as well as quality, in foods especially fruits and vegetables during their handling, storage and transportation.
• Generation of laboratory facilities for quality evaluation of foods to ensure food safety.